Having the ability to analyze a problem, getting others involved in solving it, integrating different points of view, as well as making decisions, are essential competencies a manager must develop. They are worked by using the methodology.
This methodology, as conceived by Harvard University, allows our students to acquire knowledge and experience by using a question and a real-life problem or business situation to solve, to make it possible to improve the decision-making process.
Thursday through Sunday: individual work on the case study (analysis and preparation for the forum).
Sunday through Wednesday: forum participation, argument process, and debate. General conclusions by the Practitioner.
The Case Study Methodology
The challenge is to integrate this type of academic work into an online means. This premise has led our institution to create and develop the technology and the didactic unit that can support the basis and the requirements that the methodology entails and which we have named Decision Experience Value (DEV):
- Our own online platform. Created, developed, and adapted for the case study methodology
- Content development in which the most relevant points of study are conceptualized
- Structure of the different tools and resources
- Methodology which fosters the relations among faculty and students and among students themselves.
Our Own Online Platform
- Management of the information available at all times
- Assessment of the consequences of the decisiones made
- Intellectual and communication skills (listening, contributing)
- Individual and group work. From the detail to the general reasoning.
- Personal skills development (initiative, responsibility)
- Attitudes and professional values development (flexibility, autonomy)
- How to work the case study methodology online
- Read the case carefully and reflect: What is it about? What kind of information do I have? What are the problems to solve?
- Anotar los datos más importantes extrayendo las consideraciones más destacadas.
- Hacer un análisis cualitativo y cuantitativo.
- Desarrollar las recomendaciones o teorías que se tienen para la resolución del caso.
Participate actively in the forum. The discussions in the forum allow us to get to know different options and points of view.
- Include personal experiences. They can be enriching for the rest of the participants and they can learn a lot from them.
- Relate the subject and the case study with one’s own business whenever it is possible. Everything that applies to a real business will be assimilated easily. Anything learned in an context that is important to someone will be assimilated in a more profound way.
- Preparation of the argument
- Argumentative presentation
- The Practitioner stirs up the discussion
This is the tool which allows the jump between knowledge and managerial experience. It is the convergence point where the two paths meet in order to find solutions to the problems presented by the case study, to go deep to its roots, to discuss the possibility of success , and to contrast with others.
“The forum aims at creating an open discussion related to the same case study with all the students.”
For this reason, the student is not limited to answering the Practitioner and presenting their point of view in a discussion different from the one with their peers. On the contrary, the forum aims at creating an open discussion related to the same case study with all the students.
The forum allows to expand and complement the personal position with those from other participants. It is the space that fosters interpersonal relations. Faculty and students interact with each other, presenting ideas and opinions at different times, even when there is not always an agreement or just one solution.
Each student’s individual and personal work is then poured into a group context in which they would have to use their skills in written communication , argumentation, and capacity for analysis. Besides, the participants in the forum can present their doubts and help resolve others’, so that, they can all reach the best understanding of the class content.
The forum is directed and monitored by the Practitioner. He guides the student in their knowledge acquisition while at the same time allowing to improve communication and knowledge among the students.
Faculty and students interact with each other, presenting ideas and opinions at different times, even when there is not always an agreement or just one solution.